How often you need to repaint your business depends on three major factors: the climate, the quality of materials used, and the knowledge and skill level of the painting contractors you hire for the job. However, the buildings in Florida need to be painted more often than in other areas of the country. Certain factors like intense sunlight, excessive moisture and heavy rains can cause the degradation of the paint film within just a few years.
Knowing exactly when you need to repaint your business is an important part of maintaining its visual appeal and preserving its value. When a coating system reaches the end of its service life and starts to show the first signs of deterioration, it’s time for a new paint job. But the problem is that most people fail to notice these signs, even when they become evident.
No matter what others may say, identifying specific paint failures and problems as early as possible can help prevent extensive and even irreparable structural damage. Since being able to pinpoint the early stages of degradation is so important, we invite you to read on for five major warning signs that will tell you when your business is in need of repainting.
- Fading color – Fading paint is often considered just a cosmetic issue. But it usually is much more than that. Though excessive lightening of paint colors can have several causes (e.g. the use of inadequate or lower quality paint products, over tinting paints, etc.), it always indicates the premature deterioration of the paint system. If the color has faded or the paint film has a dusty appearance, it can no longer provide the level of protection required. In this case, be sure to repaint your business as soon as possible.
- Mildew and mold growth – Are you wondering what’s with all those black, grey or greenish stains you’ve recently observed inside wall corners and underneath eaves? In most cases, fuzzy growths, unsightly spots and discoloration on wall surfaces are a sign of mildew or mold growth. Often the result of excessive moisture and poor air circulation, these two problems are quite common in Florida. But just because they’re common, it doesn’t mean they’re harmless. Mildew and mold along with high moisture content can irremediably affect the structural integrity of a building. Also, mold can cause adverse health effects. Given the potential harmful effects of molds, our Jacksonville painting contractors suggest calling in professional painters who know how to address moisture and mold problems.
- Paint starting to crack – Spidery cracks are another sign of paint failure. Just a few fine cracks in the paint film can result in patterned cracking, which resembles the scales of an alligator. Also referred to as alligatoring, these cracks generally don’t expose the substrate. However, they can extend across large areas and lead to additional problems like peeling paint. Once this happens, your building is left without any protection against the elements. Moisture, rainwater, fungi and termites can easily find their way through small cracks and gaps, and travel undisturbed to different structural components. Rotting wood, metal corrosion and even severe pest infestations are just a few problems you may face. To minimize potential structural damage, the best course of action is to inspect your building’s exterior several times a year and make repairs in a timely manner.
- Blistering paint – Bubbles in the paint film are the result of localized loss of adhesion. This may occur when the paint is applied in direct sunlight or on hot surfaces, when the paint film is exposed to high humidity or rain shortly after it has been applied, or when moisture trapped inside the wall system tries to escape. You can get rid of this problem by hiring a team of professional commercial painters to repaint your business.
- Pressure washing is ineffective at removing dirt – The curb appeal of your company can go a long way toward attracting new customers and bringing in more business. Pressure washing exterior surfaces once or twice a year is a relatively quick, inexpensive way to freshen up your business and keep it in tip-top shape throughout the year. However, pressure washing may fail to remove persistent stains or years of dirt. If it doesn’t improve the look of your commercial space considerably, it may be time to repaint your business.
If you’re unsure what a paint problem looks like, please feel free to contact us at Performance Painting Contractors in Jacksonville or Tampa, FL. One of our experienced professionals will come to your location to inspect your commercial property and help you choose the right painting solutions for different areas of your business. For any painting-related inquiries, property inspections or a free painting estimate please call us today at (904)-641-4800 / (813)-308-0388 or email [email protected].